Statistics on Mozilla.org and Mozillazine.org

Discussion of general topics about Seamonkey
proctor

Statistics on Mozilla.org and Mozillazine.org

Post by proctor »

It would be nice to have some access statistics about Mozilla.org and Mozillazine.org sites. Stats such as visitor browser brand and version, OS, number of sessions, time zone, etc.

The stats would certainly nothing close to the representation of the whole WWW, because most people going to Mozilla.org and coming to Mozillazine.org are using Geoko browser.

But i think it would be interesting to know .. say.. the number of users using Mozilla/Phoenix/Netscape/Opera/IE , what version/build of geoko browser / other broswers people are using , etc.

These infomation are interesting and may even be useful to the mozilla community and help promote Mozilla.

Currently in the whole internet , there is a lack of a neutral and authoritative site on the statistics of browser share . A statistics on Mozilla / Geoko based browser use on Mozilla.org and Mozillazine.org is not neutral and fair, but at least it would provide a guide on Geoko based browsers.

Becasue most people using Geoko based browsers choose to use the browser themselves. Geoko based browsers are generally not pre-installed, not come with the box ( ... not in windows at least ). So they are more likely to go to Mozilla.org for news and upgrades, and Mozillazine.org for news and help.

I am sure many people would be willing to help with some programming if needed.
I love Mozilla.
fondacio

Post by fondacio »

If a script like this exists or is written, I think more people will be interested. Right now, most website trackers I know of do a poor job of identifying any Gecko-based browser and don't recognise Opera either even though it calls itself "Opera" when you spoof the UA. The tracker I've used on several websites (from <A HREF="http://extreme-dm.com/">Extreme Tracking</A>) identifies all Gecko browsers as "Netscape 6". Unfortunately, my programming capabilities are limited. However, any real programmer shouldn't have much trouble writing a script that reads the user agent string properly (name of the browser, version number). Anyone feel like writing it and making it public? 8)
Ten-Zero

Re: Statistics on Mozilla.org and Mozillazine.org

Post by Ten-Zero »

proctor wrote:... using Geoko browser ... geoko browser / other broswers ... statistics on Mozilla / Geoko based ... on Geoko based ... using Geoko

Sorry to pick....it's 'geCko'.

fondacio wrote:If a script like this exists or is written, I think more people will be interested. Right now, most website trackers I know of do a poor job of identifying any Gecko-based browser ... any real programmer shouldn't have much trouble writing a script that reads the user agent string properly (name of the browser, version number). Anyone feel like writing it and making it public?

May I suggest AXS Visitor Tracking by http://www.xav.com/scripts/axs/. It's free, powerfull graphic/text selectable etc. The only let down is, like mentioned by fondacio, it doesn't (yet) seperate Gecko browsers from Netscape. However since it is written in PERL this would be extremely easy to modify (I've done this for my own site).

Mike.
A procrastinator's work is never done.
corwin

Analog

Post by corwin »

I suggest using Analog, it's free, powerful and it knows of Gecko browsers. Ex of my stats :

3794: 1,15%: Netscape/7
: 2776: 0,84%: Netscape/7.0
: 863: 0,26%: Netscape/7.0b1
: 146: 0,04%: Netscape/7.01
: 7: : Netscape/7.0+
: 1: : Netscape/7.01+
: 1: : Netscape/7.0b1+
: 2040: 0,62%: Netscape/6
: 692: 0,21%: Netscape/6.2.1
: 497: 0,15%: Netscape/6.2
: 328: 0,10%: Netscape/6.2.3
: 225: 0,07%: Netscape/6.1
: 173: 0,05%: Netscape/6.2.2
: 123: 0,04%: Netscape/6.01
: 1: : Netscape/6.0
: 1: : Netscape/6.2gnu.org
: 157: 0,05%: Netscape/3
: 132: 0,04%: Netscape/3.0
: 23: 0,01%: Netscape/3.Mozilla/2.01
: 2: : Netscape/3.01
: 2: : Netscape/8
: 2: : Netscape/8.0
: 2: : Netscape/2
: 2: : Netscape/2.02
3: 10396: 3,14%: Mozilla
: 7189: 2,17%: Mozilla/1
: 1479: 0,45%: Mozilla/1.3a
: 706: 0,21%: Mozilla/1.1b
: 653: 0,20%: Mozilla/1.2b
: 397: 0,12%: Mozilla/1.2.1
: 938: 0,28%: Mozilla/1.0.0
: 253: 0,08%: Mozilla/1.2
: 325: 0,10%: Mozilla/1.3b
: 699: 0,21%: Mozilla/1.1
: 428: 0,13%: Mozilla/1.0.0+
: 447: 0,14%: Mozilla/1.0.1
: 162: 0,05%: Mozilla/1.2a
: 364: 0,11%: Mozilla/1.1a+
: 216: 0,07%: Mozilla/1.1a
: 99: 0,03%: Mozilla/1.0rc1
: 5: : Mozilla/1.0rc2
: 17: 0,01%: Mozilla/1.0rc3
: 1: : Mozilla/1.1.0
: 2158: 0,65%: Mozilla/0
: 651: 0,20%: Mozilla/0.9.9+
: 734: 0,22%: Mozilla/0.9.7+
: 451: 0,14%: Mozilla/0.9.8+
: 108: 0,03%: Mozilla/0.9.8
: 122: 0,04%: Mozilla/0.9.9
: 24: 0,01%: Mozilla/0.9.1
: 42: 0,01%: Mozilla/0.9.4
: 19: 0,01%: Mozilla/0.9.7
: 6: : Mozilla/0.9.6
: 1: : Mozilla/0.1
: 236: 0,07%: Opera/7
: 236: 0,07%: Opera/7.0
: 199: 0,06%: Galeon/1
: 151: 0,05%: Galeon/1.2.6
: 40: 0,01%: Galeon/1.2.5
: 8: : Galeon/1.0.3

http://www.analog.cx/
fondacio

Re: Analog

Post by fondacio »

corwin wrote: (...) Ex of my stats : (...)

Doesn't anyone use IE to visit your site? :shock:

Anyway, both you and Ten-Zero, thanks for your suggestions. I'll check both of them out. If anyone has even more suggestions, please add them here. :)
Ten-Zero

Re: Analog

Post by Ten-Zero »

fondacio wrote:Doesn't anyone use IE to visit your site?

Use IE (ick) to view his website and you will see why, rendering using CSS works on compliant Gecko browsers but IE chokes.
corwin

Post by corwin »

>fondacio wrote:
>Doesn't anyone use IE to visit your site?

this is only an extract of the UA stats concerning Gecko, 88.4% of my visitors in 2002 used IE

>Ten-Zero wrote:
>Use IE (ick) to view his website and you will see why, rendering using CSS works on compliant Gecko browsers but IE chokes.

theses stats are from my main site (http://www.chevrelbureau.com) which works perfectly with IE (and looks even better in Gecko/opera7). My other FAQ site about Mozilla/Gecko is XHTML1.0/CSS2 compliant, I know that it is not nice-looking (although accessible) in IE6 but since this is a Mozilla/Gecko FAQ I think that showing some Gecko strong points (fixed positionning, transparent PNG, CSS2 generated content...) and at the same time showing IE weaknesses is only fair.
Ten-Zero

Post by Ten-Zero »

It looked very cool on Mozilla, I must say that! [envy]

I would certainly put a lot more effort into the design of my site(s) but am ALWAYS held back by the (unfortunately dominant) IE's lack of compliance. If only IE users knew what they were missing out on!. Oops - this thread is getting off topic. Just wanted to clarify that it wasn't a criticism just an observation.

As far as statisitics go, an existing counter/statistics program would probably be overkill, simply using a perl include in maybe the main page that counted to a simple txt file, storing only the simple browser info from USER_AGENT would give a good enough indication of what most people were using.

The result is a almost a forgone conclusion IMHO. Until a major hardware company starting packaging Mozilla or one of the Gecko platforms with PC's (or even offer the choice of) then the masses will continue to swallow the crap that MS feeds them. Only those who choose to take the red pill will see the truth.
kfoozd

Post by kfoozd »

"The stats would certainly nothing close to the representation of the whole WWW, because most people going to Mozilla.org and coming to Mozillazine.org are using Geoko browser."

That's a fine piece of investigative work you did there. :)
bim

Post by bim »

My company has a forwarding service for a growing amount of domain names, which means that I have access to the statistics of users mostly from Belgium visiting smallish sites. Because it's a large amount of sites (and I'm not disturbing the statistics by visiting them constantly with Mozilla) they should be rather objective.

Last month AWStats reported about 2.5% of all visitors using Netscape or Mozilla browsers. About 34% of them used Mozilla (reported by AWStats as Netscape 5.0). Second in line is Netscape 4.x with over 30% and third in line is Netscape 7 with allmost 29%. Exactly 4.5% are to pitty still not having upgraded from NS 6.x to a newer version. One visitor used Netscape 3.0
proctor

Post by proctor »

Ten-Zero wrote:As far as statisitics go, an existing counter/statistics program would probably be overkill, simply using a perl include in maybe the main page that counted to a simple txt file, storing only the simple browser info from USER_AGENT would give a good enough indication of what most people were using.

Yes, I would like to see stats on Mozilla.org and Mozillazine.org. A simple stats on the first page may be enough since most people would go to the first page first.

I am sure writing such stats program should not be difficult for Mozilla people at all. The main issue is whether people are interested in such stats about Mozilla.org and Mozillazine.org; and whether Mozilla.org & Mozillazine.org are interested in implememting it. The program may eventually help other people to develop their stats program to identify Mozilla or Gecko (double checking the spelling this time) based browsers.

Is there currently a good and respectable open source stats program on the net? May be Mozilla.org / Mozillazine.org can adopt the program.

May be Mozilla.org and Mozillazine.org have already such stats, then the question is whether if they are willing to open such information to the public.
I love Mozilla.